For those who maintain the occupation at night and all day: “They also serve who only stand and wait.” ~ John Milton (1608 – 1674) from Sonnet XIX.
Please note: The http://occupyhouston.org/ calendar link was down for a while, but the sidebar version is now apparently working again. If you have information about the Occupation which is not getting input to the main site in a timely fashion, please write a comment or email me (ThinkwingRadio@msn.com) and I’ll consider posting it on this blog. FYI, I do not necessarily support every action reported here to the same degree or at all, but I report. – Mike
Major Upcoming Events, (More info below the jump):
- Tuesday, Dec. 20th, 7:00pm at Fitzgerald’s, event to protest new noise regulations.(No further info available – Mike)
- Stand in Solidarity at the Russian Consulate (December 21st)
News & Announcements (More info below the jump):
Tweets: News, Opinion Comments: Below the jump
Calendar Of Upcoming Events <– Seems to be working again. Yay!
BootsRiley: Houston DA trying 2 indict
#OccupyHouston folks on felonies for Port Blockade. It was thrown out of court once already. http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/15/9475696-houston-da-turns-up-the-heat-on-occupy-activists
In continuing solidarity with the oppressed LGBT community of the Russian Federation, Occupy Houston will be holding protests outside of the Russian Consulate corner of Post Oak Blvd & South 610 (1333 West Loop South, Ste 1300, Houston, TX 77027).
We invite all those who recognise that GLBT rights are human rights to join us Wednesdays, from 4pm to 6pm, to express our dismay at the systemic institutionalised bigotry on display in Russia. Physical violence & suppression of free speech cannot be tolerated or passively condoned.
Parking is extremely limited in the area, and so carpooling or use of METRO is recommended. This is planned as ongoing event.
Official count: 13 @ 11:02am 12/20/11
Moderator: Mary Wior Scribe: Dan
edward: reconstruction of the freedmen town project leaving at 2:30pm and has a car that he can help people to get there
eric: ask that we reach out to the military & veterans Ben: ongoing protest at the russian consulate for the civil right of the gay lesbian transgender on Wednesday 4 – 6pm Ben will be by at 3:30pm to pick up anyone who wishes to attend
Ben: Tranquility park workgroup want to have volunteers to come and pick up to-be-sanitized dishes, so have all dirty dishes put in totes and prepped for them when or if they can pick them up Those who were originally charged with felonies, that charge has been reinstated; any of those 7 who got out on bail need to get ready for their indictment and switch their bail over as such, please contact your bail-bondsman or lawyer
Edward: what are we to do with the large piles of trash – move to wall in trash bags and parks and rec will pick up on their regular routine; compost needs to be over turned and covered to keep the flies down and over turn the compost; recycling is done by mike’s green recycling write recycle guy number on the bins; request more containers for compost, remind people we have compost to give/takeaway eric: veteran/military outreach workgroup newly formed, needs volunteers & logistical help to reach the VA, other veteran areas
rukmini-devi: is pregnant
trey: working on document that is a list park necessities and focuses invited to farm at the fifthward last organic outpost 7 days a week Ben: city council meeting is at 2:00pm
Ben: Official occu-bbq cook-off & potluck for all day sunday passed; needs vote from tonight’s GA
Jay: wishes to have more art supplies proposal (poster board, colors, paints, tape, drawing pads, thrift store canvas, tarp/box to keep supplies dry) $100, costs as low as possible & solicit donations passed waiting for vote from tonight’s GA
Opinions: No opinions at this time
As passed on Wed, 14 Dec 2011, this GA was a special meeting specifically to discuss the schedule of future GA’s.
Sunday, December 18th, 2011
Attempts were made to start GA shortly after 7, but the attempts were preempted by the arrival of food and photo-ops with the impressive rocket bike.
Start Time: 7:45ish
Special Guest: Tom Weis (President of Climate Crisis Solutions) and Ron Seifert biked from Alberta, Canada to voice their concerns surrounding the Keystone XL pipeline (planned to run from the Tar Sands in Alberta, Canada to Houston) and ask for our support in protesting outside of 717 Texas St., at noon, tomorrow, December 19th.
- Tuesday, Dec. 20th, 7:00pm at Fitzgerald’s, event to protest new noise regulations.
- Joe Roache: Tuesday at 2pm, City Council regular session meeting. Get on stack by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or 832-393-1100.
- Joe Roache: County Commissioners regular session meeting at 9am Tuesday
- Trey: Court event in Louisiana regarding red light cameras. federal judge blocked petition against red light cameras.
Special Session Opinions
Multiple views on the general assembly schedule, workgroup schedules, and ways to alert everyone of emergency g.a.’s.
Jorge describes march in Bellaire for immigrant rights and announces he will not be as involved as he is moving into a new house.
Special Session Proposals
We used a workgroup format to come up with the proposals. The strongly moderated system started with very broad choices from the opinions expressed and used simple majority with instant run off voting to determine the final proposal. True consensus was reached on the final proposals presented below.
1. General assembly twice a day, 7 days a week, 11am and 7:30pm on weekdays, and 11am and 5:30pm on weekends with workgroup proposals limited to Sunday and Wednesday evenings. PASSED*
2. Individual proposals required to pass through 2 concurrent g.a.’s before being adopted. PASSED*
3. Set a trial period for this schedule to last through January 31, 2012
General Assembly Schedule
- weekdays: 11am and 7:30pm
- weekends: 11am and 5:30pm
Changes to Proposal Process
- Workgroup Proposal Limitations: Workgroups may only present proposals at the Sunday and Wednesday evening GAs.
- Individual Proposal Process: Individuals may make proposals at any GA, however they must be approved by two concurrent GA’s before being officially adopted.
We agreed to try this through the end of January.
Regular Session Resumed
A vote was called to end the special session, which was unanimously passed. There was one point of business for the regular session, the following proposal (which passed):
- Occupy Houston is soliciting anyone who will be willing to donate port-o-potties (preferably handicapped accessible), including any costs associated with permits and maintenance.
- Everyone happily voted to adjourn the meeting around 11:30pm.
Comments, questions, and discussion: in this forum thread