For those who maintain the occupation at night and all day: “They also serve who only stand and wait.” ~ John Milton (1608 – 1674) from Sonnet XIX.
Please note: If you have information about the Occupation which is not getting input to the main site in a timely fashion, please write a comment or email me (ThinkwingRadio@msn.com) and I’ll consider posting it on this blog. FYI, I do not necessarily support every action reported here to the same degree or at all, but I report. – Mike
This post will be further updated as the week progresses ~ Mike
Major Upcoming Events, (More info below the jump):
News & Announcements (More info below the jump):
Tweets: News, Opinion, Comments: Below the jump
- OCCUPY MOVEMENT: Occupy Together – Actions and Directory (Domestic and Worldwide) <– Click here
- Finance Meeting 2/1/12
- Finance Meeting 1/29/12
- Finance Meeting 1/26/12
- Finance Meeting 1/20/12 (No Quorum)
- Finance Meeting 1/7/12
- Finance Meeting 12/25/11
- Finance Meeting 12/14/11
When: Saturday & Sunday, February 11-12, 9:30am – 4:00pm
Where: Good Jobs=Great Houston, 2955 Gulf Fwy (map)
- Description: A weekend of learning, sharing and training. Presented by veteran organizers Lisa Fithian and Juniper, and hosted by Good Jobs=Great Houston.
- Saturday, 9:30 Gather, Food (breakfast and lunch provided by GJGH)
- Saturday, 10:00 Organizing For Power From corporate offices to banks, auto plants to universities to cities and streets, strategic nonviolent direct action can creatively liberate spaces, shift the balance of power, offer alternatives and win. This workshop will look at some success stories, explore different action models, and examine some good practices in the art of actions and campaigns.
- Saturday, Lunch
- Saturday, 2:00-4:00 Nonviolent Direct Action We will do some hands-on exercises including scouting, blockade techniques, flying squads, the five finger and more. We will draw together lessons for our movements about how we can work in alignment with one another despite differences in race, gender, class culture, strategy, tactics and goals.
- Sunday, 9:30 Gather, Food
- Sunday, 10:00 Facilitation and Consensus This session will help us deepen our understanding of the role of the facilitator and the consensus/decision-making process in building strong groups.
- Sunday, Lunch
- Sunday, 2:00 Organizing Now and for the Long Haul Our power is relational, so we need to build relationships that support each other and that last. This session will look at some of the basics of 1-on-1 organizing and structures that can support the 99% in being more engaged in this movement for social change
Please RSVP to email@example.com. Note whether you’ll be there Sat, Sun, or both!
Occupyrelated Tweets & Info
OccupyHoustonOccupy Houston: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3d3_1328617851 RT this!
#HPD assault & cock/point shotgun at unarmed citizens for noise violation. #HFT #OHTX @YourAnonNews @KHOU 35 minutes ago
peterrothbergPeter Rothberg: Occupy Press Freedoms: At least 50 journalists have been arrested covering the Occupy movement since it began. http://www.thenation.com/blog/166113/occupy-press-freedoms
Attendance; Jenny, Shere, Taryn, Joe, Vera, plus a few others and newcomers
Lumped in, again, with Logistics meeting, then the discussion continued into the GA
Questions over who is finance and where are the boxes. Boxes still in the same place, nothing has changed. They are still secure. Ledger shown to those in attendance. No money has come out.
Next Finance Meeting scheduled for Feb 5, with the logistics meeting.
About 8 in attendance including, Jenny, Nick, Earl, Anthony, Chris, and a few newcomers
Update from last meeting. Jenny spoke to Lief. The WePay is still accessible, so there is no need to open another account.
Fundraising ideas surfaced. Ex. Shirts, buttons, etc… Will look into this.
Still need to get locking waterproof totes for logistics.
Next meeting; 2/1/12
Lumped in with Logistics Meeting so that there could be feedback.
Discussion over WePay account not being easily accessible. Conclusion being, check into starting another WePay or PayPal account. Approved.
Logistics needs support from finance to get 4 locking, waterproof totes for storage. 1 for the info table, 1 for Medical, 2 for Food.
Cash boxes still secure. No funds have been taken out since November.
Next meeting 1/29/12
Mission Statement; Finance Work Group will aim to handle and distribute the funds for Occupy Houston in a responsible, fair, transparent, and honest manner.
Point of Contact; firstname.lastname@example.org
Finance lumped into the open discussion Christmas GA. 20+ in attendance. Discussion of accepting the offer from Houston Peace and Justice for help with the 501c3 status. Proposed and Passed. Next meeting scheduled for the January 7 WG day.
Ben and Remington present. Formed a new sub-group of finance, Bail Bond Work Group. Seeking funds for bailing out those involved with D12 action. Announcements posted. Next finance meeting 12/18/11.