This is a re-airing of an unexpectedly timely interview that was broadcast 1 day before Russia invaded Ukraine. Stan is a widely respected expert in the topics discussed.
INTERVIEW: Weds, February 23, 2022, 11 AM (CT). GUEST: STAN SLOAN. INTERVIEW TOPICS: Ukraine, Russia, and the Greater Euro-Transatlantic Situation. ALSO! Post-interview discussion, available only in this post!
GUEST: STAN SLOAN
- Stan Sloan has worked on European security issues for over fifty years. He began with service as an intelligence officer at the CIA and in the US Air Force, followed by 24 years advising Congress on international security policy, continuing after retirement in 1999 as a teacher, lecturer, and writer. His most recent books are titled De-Trumping U.S. Foreign Policy: Can Biden bring America back? and Defense of the West: Transatlantic Security from Truman to Trump.
- De-Trumping U.S. Foreign Policy: Can Biden Bring America Back? De Gruyter Publishing, December 2021; and
- Defense of the West: Transatlantic Security from Truman to Trump, with a foreword from Sir Lawrence Freedman. Manchester University Press, 2020.
- ADDITIONAL REFERENCES MENTIONED DURING SHOW & POST-SHOW:
- PREVIOUS INTERVIEW with STAN SLOAN (APRIL 20, 2020): The Past/Present/Future of NATO in the age of Trump and Pandemic
- Live online at KPFT.org (from anywhere in the world!)
- Through Google Podcasts on Android or iPhone.
- Visiting Archive.KPFT.ORG
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig where we discuss local, state, national, and international stories. My co-host and show editor is Andrew Ferguson.
- An educated electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy.
- You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.
- Make sure you are registered to vote! VoteTexas.GOV – Texas Voter InformationTEXAS SoS VOTE-BY-MAIL BALLOT APPLICATION (ALL TEXAS COUNTIES) HarrisVotes.com – Countywide Voting Centers, (Election Information Line (713) 755-6965), Harris County Clerk
- Harris County “Vote-By-Mail’ Application for 2022
- Fort bend County Elections/Voter Registration Machine takes you to the proper link
- GalvestonVotes.org (Galveston County, TX)
- Liberty County Elections (Liberty County, TX)
- Montgomery County (TX) Elections
- Brazoria County (TX) Clerk Election Information
- Waller County (TX) Elections
- Chambers County (TX) Elections
- For personalized, nonpartisan voter guides and information, Consider visiting Vote.ORG. Ballotpedia.com and Texas League of Women Voters are also good places to get election info.
- If you are denied your right to vote any place at any time at any polling place for any reason, ask for (or demand) a provisional ballot rather than lose your vote.
- HarrisVotes.com – Countywide Voting CentersHARRIS COUNTY – IDENTIFICATION REQUIRED FOR VOTING: Do not possess and cannot reasonably obtain one of these IDs?
- Fill out a declaration at the polls describing a reasonable impediment to obtaining it, and show a copy or original of one of the following supporting forms of ID:
- A government document that shows your name and an address, including your voter registration certificate
- Current utility bill
- Bank statement
- Government check
- A certified domestic (from a U.S. state or territory) birth certificate or (b) a document confirming birth admissible in a court of law which establishes your identity (which may include a foreign birth document)
- You may vote early by-mail if:You are registered to vote and meet one of the following criteria:
- Away from the county of residence on Election Day and during the early voting period;
- Sick or disabled;
- 65 years of age or older on Election Day; or
- Confined in jail, but eligible to vote.
- Make sure you are registered:
- Ann Harris Bennett, Tax Assessor-Collector & Voter Registrar
- CHECK REGISTRATION STATUS HERE
- CLICK How to register to vote in Texas
- Outside Texas, try Vote.org.
- BE REGISTERED TO VOTE, and if eligible, REMEMBER TO FILL OUT AND MAIL YOUR MAIL-IN BALLOT APPLICATIONS FOR 2022
- GENERAL ELECTIONS SCHEDULE
- FYI: I received my mail-in ballot in the mail last week. I’ve already returned it, so if you haven’t gotten yours yet, keep your eyes peeled. If you haven’t received it by now, you might check your ballot’s status at your county election clerk.
- Oct 24-Nov 4: Early Vote
Oct 28: Last day to apply for a ballot by mail
Nov. 8: ELECTION DAY!!! 2022 November General Election – November 8, 2022
- You can track your Mail Ballot Activity from our website with direct link provided here — https://www.harrisvotes.com/Tracking
- Harris County Sample Ballots (Countywide)
- Harris County “Vote-By-Mail’ Application for 2022
- PSA: BALLOT POSTAGE — There are instructions with the Harris County mail-in ballots that apply to necessary postage on the return envelope, but the text is small an, unfortunately, it’s right at the fold, so is easy to miss. If your ballot is 1-2 pages (remembering that 4 sides of a page is 2 pages), that a single 1st Class Forever stamp. If your ballot is 3-4 pages (6-8 sides of a page), you need two 1st class Forever stamps.
- ELECTION INFORMATION
- MIKE: As an FYI, Community Impact has been doing a series of stories in the GOVERNMENT section for the past few days on “Getting To Know The Candidates” in a number of races. You might check CommunityImpact.com and see if you’re in one of the district races covered.
- League of Women Voters of Texas launches online Vote 411 [VOTE 411.ORG] tool in advance of primary elections; By Summer El-Shahawy | COMMUNITYIMPACT.COM | 4:56 PM Feb 1, 2022 CST, Updated 4:56 PM Feb 1, 2022 CST — The League of Women Voters of Texas, a nonpartisan civic nonprofit, has put together an interactive, online voter guide to help educate people about the many upcoming races across Texas during election season. The interactive version of the guide, vote411.org, offers a variety of tools. …