I’ll be sitting in today for Egberto. This show was originally planned for ThinkwingRadio on Monday 8/17, but I held over the guest from Queer Voices so we could talk about shyness, self-consciousness, social phobias, and how to overcome them.
Apologies for falling behind on program postings. Show synopses and audio for Thinkwing Radio shows from 8/3 and 8/10/2015 will be made available soon.
THINKWING RADIO MOVED TO MONDAYS @ 9-10 PM, BEGINNING 4/13/2015.
Link is usually posted within about 72 hours of show broadcast.
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig (@ThinkwingRadio), a listener call-in show (every Monday night from 9-10PM CT) on KPFT-FM 90.1 (Houston). My engineer and discussion partner is Egberto Willies (@EgbertoWillies).
For the purposes of this show, I operate on two mottoes:
- You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts;
- An educated electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy.
GUESTS: (More complete biographical info on my guests are below Source links.)
Black & White, But Cops All Over?
- Black Cops vs. White Cops: Prone to same apprehension biases?
- Racism: How much is color and how much is culture?
- Body language: What are we wordlessly saying to each other?
- Eye contact [or lack thereof]
- Facial expression: what is it saying?
- Manner of dress: What’s being communicated?
- Without Release of Video, Police Shooting of White Driver Gets Less Publicity, By RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr. : Supporters of Zachary Hammond, a 19-year-old who was killed last month by the Seneca, S.C., police, say he would have received more attention had he been black. But race was only one factor.
- Justice Dept. opens civil rights probe into police shooting of Zachary Hammond, By Sarah Kaplan August 13: Three weeks after Zachary Hammond was shot and killed by police in a drug bust in a Hardee’s parking lot in South Carolina, federal officials have launched a civil rights investigation into his death. Hammond’s death fit the profile of many other officer-involved shootings that have made headlines this year. He was said to be unarmed and was initially approached by police for a relatively minor offense — possession of a small amount of marijuana. But Hammond was also white, and his parents have wondered if that fact might explain why their son’s death didn’t initially provoke the same outrage as similar shootings involving African Americans.[An ‘unarmed’ white teen was shot dead by police. His family asks: Where is the outrage?]
- Superconductivity record sparks wave of follow-up physics: Researchers strive to reproduce and understand landmark result, by Edwin Cartlidge (17 August 2015): Hydrogen sulfide — the compound responsible for the smell of rotten eggs — conducts electricity with zero resistance when samples of hydrogen sulfide are subjected to extremely high pressures — around 1.5 million atmospheres at a record high temperature of “only” 203o kelvin (–70 °C), reports a paper published today in Nature1. This is great news, except for 22,500,000 lbs/sq.inch and the terrible odor of rotten eggs.
- Asia’s Rapidly Shrinking Glaciers Could Fuel Future Conflicts, by Charles Q. Choi, LiveScience (Aug 17 2015, 5:10 pm ET)
- The Middle East:
- Map: Spillover of fighting in Mideast, by Wikipedia
- Turkish involvement in the Syrian Civil War, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Spillover of the Syrian Civil War, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Millennialism – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Millennialism (from millennium, Latin for “thousand years”) … is a belief held by some Christian denominations that there will be a Golden Age or Paradise on Earth in which “Christ will reign” for 1000 years prior to the final judgment and future eternal state (the “World to Come” of the New Heavens and New Earth). This belief is derived primarily from Revelation 20:1–6. Millennialism is a specific form of millenarianism.
- Air Travel/Airport/Passenger Pick-up Hell
- Americans are getting bigger:
- End of seat wars? Legroom adjustable seat can be shifted for passenger size, Published August 10, 2015 (FoxNews): The seats will all have moveable wheels & sit on rail tracks lining the aircraft floor. If a taller man or woman is seated in front of a child, for example, the cabin crew will have the ability to move an occupant’s seat several inches back via smartphone or tablet, allowing for extra legroom. But the new invention may require passengers to inform airlines of their height at check-in meaning some may fudge the numbers to secure more seat space. Also, ‘pitch’ is controlled entirely at discretion of flight crew.
- Clothing, shoes, furniture, even toilet seats are getting bigger. Why are airplane seats getting smaller?
DOJ subpoenas airlines over keeping ticket prices high,
Safety risk of shrinking, By Associated Press (Aprl 15, 2015)
- Advisory Committee for Aviation Consumer Protection – See more at: http://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/ACACP#sthash.7bh0CrUI.dpuf
- Airports, airlines disagree about raising ticket fees, October 29, 2014
- Americans are getting bigger:
Some of the links used for this show are BELOW the break: SOURCES (Below the break) Not all topics discussed on tonight’s show: Continue reading