SHOW AUDIO: Start at 1m17s, [https://thinkwingradio.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/kpfthd3_2013-09-18_100-year-star-ship-symposium.mp3]
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig (every Wednesday from 2-3PM CT) on KPFT-HD Channel 90.1-3. One of our mottos is that you’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts, so we try to get our facts right.
If you don’t have an HD (‘Hi-Definition’) radio go to ‘HOW TO LISTEN’ and get the graphic on how it works.
This weekend (Sept 19-22, 2013) Houston will be hosting this year’s 100 Year Star Ship (100YSS) Symposium. Anyone who is interested may attend. To discuss it, my tentatively scheduled guests are former NASA astronaut and founder of the 100YSS, Dr. Mae Jemison, along with Dr. Karl Aspelund. Dr. Aspelund is a textile professor who won a grant to research recyclable sustainable clothing such as might be needed on a 30-year space mission where water and clothing are limited (Yes, the Final Frontier includes laundry); And Mae Jemison, first woman of color in space, doctor, astronaut, and leader of 100 Year Starship.
The 100 Year Star Ship is not science fiction. It’s an initiative of DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency; the folks who helped create the internet). It’s a serious concept supported by ongoing research and funding in various sciences, technologies and disciplines. The goal is to develop the knowledge and capabilities necessary to launch an interstellar-capable vessel within 100 years. You can see some of the research tracks being explored, here: http://symposium.100yss.org/technical-tracks
- Start: September 19, 2013
- End: September 22, 2013
- Cost: Varies – See 100YSS website for more information
- Event Category: Conference
- Event Tags: 100 Year Starship, Bernie Faranoff, Casey Hudson, Hakeem Oluseyi, Jill Tarter
- Website: http://symposium.100yss.org/register
Some of the links used for this show are as follows BELOW:
- The 100 Year Star Ship: http://100yss.org/mission/purpose
- The 100 Year Star Ship Symposium 2013 (Houston): http://symposium.100yss.org/schedule
- A Section of Region IV of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics: http://www.aiaahouston.org/
- Profile of Dr. Karl Askelund (guest): http://www.uri.edu/hss/tmd/Karl.html
- Profiles of Dr. Mae Jemison (guest, founder of the 100 Year Star Ship project): http://www.drmae.com/dr-mae-and-team-establish-100-year-starship-782, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Jemison, http://www.drmae.com, http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/jemison-mc.html
If you don’t have an HD (‘Hi-Definition’) radio, you can hear KPFT-HD 90.1-3 at KPFT.org. Listen online by going to KPFT.org and clicking on “Listen Live”, and then one of the HD3 links: HD3 (32k) HD3 (64k) . Or go to ‘HOW TO LISTEN’ and get the graphic on how it works.
KPFT is the Pacifica station in Houston, Texas