Link is usually posted within about 72 hours of show broadcast.
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig (@ThinkwingRadio), a listener call-in show (every Wednesday night from 10-11PM CT) on KPFT-FM 90.1 (Houston). My engineer and discussion partner is Egberto Willies (@EgbertoWillies). Listen live on the radio or on the internet from anywhere in the world! When the show is live, we take calls at 713-526-5738. (Long distance charges may apply.) For the purposes of this show, I operate on two mottoes:
- You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts;
- An educated electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy.
GUESTS: (More complete biographical info on my guests are below Source links.)
Dr. Janice Werbinski, MD, ObGyn, is the Executive Director an for the Sex and Gender Women’s Health Collaborative (www.sgwhc.org), a national organization of women’s health clinicians. Her organization is trying to influence the way physicians, pharmacists, and other healthcare workers are educated to take care of women patients. This is about equity in the way we research, and apply research, to women patients. It is not about LGBT or sexual medicine.Physician from Kalamazoo, Michigan,
NOTE: This post is subject to update before and after the show. ______________________________________________________________________
Some of the links used for this show are BELOW the break: SOURCES (Below the break) Not all topics discussed on tonight’s show:
- The Colbert Report: Co-Ed Lab Rats: http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/el90zp/co-ed-lab-rats
- Sex Matters: Drugs can affect sexes differently: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sex-matters-drugs-can-affect-sexes-differently/http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/12/20/1321060111.full.pdf
- Gender Medicine: Why We Need To Focus On How Women vs. Men Get Sick: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/27/gender-medicine_n_2956796.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
- Women and The Treatment of Pain: .http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/opinion/sunday/women-and-the-treatment-of-pain.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&
- The Drug Dose Gender Gap: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/the-drug-dose-gender-gap/?ref=science
- FDA Releases Data Showing Women and Minorities Are Not Studied Enough in Medical Research: http://swhr.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=509946de6d9e9baa270d9da7a&id=74b8d7eb5d&e=e791d0b9ee
SOURCES WHICH MAY BE RELEVANT TO OTHER DISCUSSION:
- ThinkwingRadio: Feb. 12, 2014, 10-11PM, KPFT-FM 90.1 (Houston). TOPIC: How Badly Are Budget Cuts Damaging Our Research Infrastructure?
- FDA Drug Approvals Snapshot: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnDrugs/ucm412998.htm
- In Defense of Basic Science Funding: Today’s Scientific Discovery Is Tomorrow’s Medical Advance, by Marc Tessier-Lavigne (The Rockefeller University, New York) Cite this article as Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 2013;3:a019554
- By The Numbers: Search NIH Grant Data By Institution Houston’s prestigious Baylor College of Medicine is one of the institutions that highlighted that has had “notable declines” in NIH funding in recent years