SHOW AUDIO: kpft_2015-03-18_2200, SHADOWS OF LIBERTY, CHENEY INTERVIEW, CRUZ v NASA, THE CONSERVATIVE MIND, THE MANN ACT
Link is usually posted within about 72 hours of show broadcast.
Listen live on the radio or on the internet from anywhere in the world! When the show is live, we take calls at 713-526-5738. (Long distance charges may apply.)
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig (@ThinkwingRadio), a listener call-in show (every Wednesday night from 10-11PM CT) on KPFT-FM 90.1 (Houston). My engineer and discussion partner is Egberto Willies (@EgbertoWillies).
For the purposes of this show, I operate on two mottoes:
- You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts;
- An educated electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy.
GUESTS: (More complete biographical info on my guests are below Source links.) CALLERS
POSSIBLE TOPICS: Cheney on Obama, Rightwing (Apparent) Cognitive Dissonance, Ted Cruz vs. NASA Climate Science, Putin’s Back, Ukraine and Eastern Europe vs. Russia, Quotations
NOTE: This post is subject to update before and after the show. ______________________________________________________________________
Some of the links used for this show are BELOW the break: SOURCES (Below the break) Not all topics discussed on tonight’s show:
- Shadows of Liberty (http://www.shadowsofliberty.org): Documentary film about concentration of media in the hands of just a few big media companies.
- Dick Cheney’s Playboy interview: 5 things to know. Former Vice President Dick Cheney tells Playboy that Barack Obama is an even worse president than Jimmy Carter and has endangered national security., By Linda Feldmann, Staff writer (CSMonitor.com) March 18, 2015
- Sometimes a Cigar Is Just a Cigar: (quoteinvestigator.com) Apocryphal misquote often attributed to Sigmund Freud
- Conservative ‘Cognitive Dissonance
- Conservative reasoning
- Why anti-abortion and anti-birth control makes sense
- Why they keep fighting for bad policies to uphold conservative principles.
- Sen. Ted Cruz Wants NASA to De-emphasize Climate Change Science. NASA Chief Fires Back, by Phil Plait (SLATE.com) March 16 2015 7:00 AM
- SLATE USA Update
- Majority of Americans side with Dick Cheney, say torture was justified (+video)
- Torture: Dick Cheney all in on ‘enhanced interrogation’ (+video)
- Republicans divided over Senate torture report. Dick Cheney in the spotlight (+video)
- Decoder: Why Dick Cheney calls the CIA torture report ‘a bunch of hooey’ (+video)
- The Mann Act: What You Can Learn From An Old Movie…
- Putin’s Back:
- NATO Is Beefing Up Baltic Exercises Amid Russian Excursions,by Wiktor Szary, (Reuters) Jan. 13, 2015, 7:13 AM
- Russia to hold more large-scale military maneuvers in 2015, (RT.com) Published time: December 01, 2014 17:23
“What ISIS Really Wants”, by Graeme Wood, March 2015 (TheATLANTIC.com)
- Exclusive: China drops leading technology brands for state purchases, By Paul Carsten (for REUTERS) BEIJING Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:47am EST
- It’s Time to Restore Pluto’s Good Name (Op-Ed), by David A Weintraub, Vanderbilt University | February 25, 2015 11:38am ET [This article was originally published on The Conversation. Read the original article. Follow all of the Expert Voices issues and debates — and become part of the discussion — on Facebook, Twitter and Google +. The views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the publisher. This version of the article was originally published on Space.com.]
- The ‘CSI Effect’:
- CSI effect – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: “The CSI effect, also known as the CSI syndrome and the CSI infection, is any of several ways in which the exaggerated portrayal of forensic science on crime television shows such as CSI: Crime Scene Investigation influences public perception. …”
- George Eads Leaves “CSI”. Will we be seeing him starring in “CSI: San Diego”?
SOURCES WHICH MAY BE RELEVANT TO OTHER DISCUSSION:
- Why the Donkey and Elephant? – Infoplease: The Question: What is the origin of the donkey and elephant as the symbols of the Democratic and Republican parties in America?
- SPACE.COM EDITOR’S RECOMMENDATIONS
- Iran Calls GOP Letter ‘Propaganda Ploy,’ Offers To ‘Enlighten’ Authors, By Bill Chappell, March 10, 2015 9:50 AM ET (NPR)
The #IRAN47: Are the Republicans now certifiably the “Party of Nixon” rather than the “Party of Lincoln”?
- “Treason” as a legal term.
- Treason as a “term of art” (Lawrence O’Donnell, 3/10/2015):
- Article Three of the United States Constitution – Wikipedia
- U.S. Constitution› Article III, Cornell University Law School
- Richard Nixon’s long shadow, By George F. Will Opinion writer (Washing Post) August 6, 2014
- The Lyndon Johnson tapes: Richard Nixon’s ‘treason’, By David Taylor (BBCNews.com) 22 March 2013 Last updated at 14:56 ET
- George Will Confirms Nixon’s Vietnam Treason, by Bob Fitrakis, Harvey Wasserman (CommonDreams.com) Published on Tuesday, August 12, 2014
- Yes, Nixon Scuttled the Vietnam Peace Talks: It’s been rumored for years. Now we have real proof, by JOHN ALOYSIUS FARRELL (www.politico.com ) June 09, 2014
- Scott Walker, and the problem with valuing credentials over competence, (The WEEK.com) by Edward Morrissey