THINKWING RADIO MOVED TO MONDAYS @ 9-10 PM, BEGINNING 4/13/2015.
Link is usually posted within about 72 hours of show broadcast.
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig (@ThinkwingRadio), a listener call-in show (every Monday night from 9-10PM CT) on KPFT-FM 90.1 (Houston). My engineer and discussion partner is Egberto Willies (@EgbertoWillies).
For the purposes of this show, I operate on two mottoes:
- You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts;
- An educated electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy.
GUESTS: (More complete biographical info on my guests are below Source links.)
- When Green…Isn’t?
- Syrian Refugees
- When Worlds Collide?
- What is the future of Journalism
SOURCES WHICH MAY BE RELEVANT TO OTHER DISCUSSION:
- Wind Turbines: “It’s always something”, Posted on February 1, 2014
- Wind Turbines: “It’s always something” [VIDEO], Posted on April 9, 2012
- Greenhouse Gases: how important are methane and CO2 from natural sources vs the same gasses from underground hydrocarbons (i.e., oil and natural gas)?
- One (natural decomposition of previously living organisms) is part of a natural carbon cycle on earth, the other (hydrocarbons pumped from deep within the earth) is not.
- ALL renewable energy has ‘unintended’ consequences:
- Wind: microclimate
- Solar: factory emissions and waste products
- Tidal: Changes in natural local sea environment
- When renewable energy isn’t green: hydroelectric emissions, By Kale Roberts For the Poughkeepsie Journal (12:03 a.m. EDT September 19, 2015)
- The Arab world’s wealthiest nations are doing next to nothing for Syria’s refugees, st/1NvBx08 (9/12/15, 10:54 )AM
- Is this 8-year-old’s newspaper better than yours? bz/1i1EWGu pic.twitter.com/XN3NJT8XIb (9/12/15, 12:30 PM)
- Good news, earthlings: The planet Mercury probably won’t kill us, By Ken Croswell (Email Ken), 18 September 2015 3:45 pm (sciencemag.org)
- What is the difference between nutation and precession of the Earth?
- Precession, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nutation, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Microbeads, the Tiny Orbs Threatening Our Water – NY TIMES: By THE EDITORIAL BOARD: Once plastic microbeads enter the water, they attract toxic substances like PCBs and are eaten by fish
- The Possibility of a National Flood Control Network
- Downhill flow can generate hydroelectric power, to help compensate for uphill pumping.
- Arid low-lying areas may benefit from becoming ‘reservoirs’ for water being held pending regional needs.
- Dealing With The Megadrought in the Western United States
- ARTICLES & SOURCES
- What should California do about its drought? As California suffers a historic drought, residents measure the damage and consider possible solutions, August 26, 2014 by Inside Story Team @AJInsideStoryAM
- California first to feel hydro-power crunch of drought, By ELLEN KNICKMEYER (Associated Press( March 21, 2015
- Why California’s drought means higher utility bills. California’s drought has already cost utility ratepayers $1.4 billion and boosted emissions of carbon dioxide. Hydropower is the third priority behind drinking water for people and water for crops, By Ellen Knickmeyer, Associated Press [March 21, 2015]
TONIGHT’S GUEST: OPEN FORUM