THINKWING RADIO MOVED TO MONDAYS @ 9-10 PM, BEGINNING 4/13/2015.
Link is usually posted within about 72 hours of show broadcast.
Listen live on the radio or on the internet from anywhere in the world! When the show is live, we take calls at 713-526-5738. (Long distance charges may apply.)
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig (@ThinkwingRadio), a listener call-in show (every Monday night from 9-10PM CT) on KPFT-FM 90.1 (Houston). My engineer and discussion partner is Egberto Willies (@EgbertoWillies).
For the purposes of this show, I operate on two mottoes:
- You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts;
- An educated electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy.
GUESTS: (More complete biographical info on my guests are below Source links.)
POSSIBLE TOPICS: TPP, Texas & Local Elections, Syria, Turkey, Russia, NATO, Iran, Google gives up on not being evil, and more
SOURCES WHICH MAY BE RELEVANT TO OTHER DISCUSSION:
- REFINEMENT OR ESCAPE CLAUSE?: New Google parent drops its explicit pledge not to do evil; Critics had often called out the company for not following its motto. by Tanya Basu/TIME (October 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT), by way of Fortune.com
- Voting information in Harris County can be found at http://harrisvotes.com/
- Polling locations “TBD”. Best reason to Early Vote.
- Early Voting for Harris County Residents can be found at HarrisVotes.com
- Oct 19-30th
- Early voting info for anywhere in Texas can be found at gov
- Generic Sample ballot is 12 pages!
- ‘My’ ballot is only 1 page. Yours probably is also.
- The entire Houston city government is up for election!
- You can check to see if you’re registered by going to http://www.hctax.net/Voter/Search or the Texas Secretary of State https://team1.sos.state.tx.us/voterws/viw/faces/SearchSelectionVoter.jsp
- Polling locations “TBD”. Best reason to Early Vote.
· Report: US-backed Kurdish rebels may have committed war crimes in Syria, By Adam Taylor October 12 at 7:01 PM (Washington Post): A new report from human rights group Amnesty International suggests that Kurdish forces in northern Syria, among the most significant U.S. ground partners in the fight against the Islamic State, may have committed war crimes with a campaign of displacement and home demolitions aimed mostly at the local Arab population.
- The Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (tppinfo.org/): “The Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (“TPP”) is a free trade agreement currently being negotiated by nine countries: The United States, Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Malaysia, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam. Although the TPP covers a wide range of issues, this site focuses on the TPP’s intellectual property (IP) chapter.”
- Trans-Pacific Partnership – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Wikipedia: The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a proposed trade agreement between twelve Pacific Rim countries concerning a variety of matters of economic policy, ..
- ALL renewable energy has ‘unintended’ consequences:
- Wind: microclimate
- Solar: factory emissions and waste products
- Tidal: Changes in natural local sea environment
- When renewable energy isn’t green: hydroelectric emissions, By Kale Roberts For the Poughkeepsie Journal (12:03 a.m. EDT September 19, 2015)
- What is the difference between nutation and precession of the Earth?
- The Arab world’s wealthiest nations are doing next to nothing for Syria’s refugees, st/1NvBx08 (9/12/15, 10:54 )AM
- Microbeads, the Tiny Orbs Threatening Our Water – NY TIMES: By THE EDITORIAL BOARD: Once plastic microbeads enter the water, they attract toxic substances like PCBs and are eaten by fish
- Is your face wash damaging the oceans?, Scientists estimate that 9 billion tiny plastic microbeads from tooth paste, cosmetics, and soap enter water streams every day, putting droves of aquatic species at risk., By Cathaleen Chen, Staff September 20, 2015 (csmonitor.com)
- The Possibility of a National Flood Control Network
- Downhill flow can generate hydroelectric power, to help compensate for uphill pumping.
- Arid low-lying areas may benefit from becoming ‘reservoirs’ for water being held pending regional needs.
- Dealing With The Megadrought in the Western United States
- ARTICLES & SOURCES
- What should California do about its drought? As California suffers a historic drought, residents measure the damage and consider possible solutions, August 26, 2014 by Inside Story Team @AJInsideStoryAM
- California first to feel hydro-power crunch of drought, By ELLEN KNICKMEYER (Associated Press( March 21, 2015
- Why California’s drought means higher utility bills. California’s drought has already cost utility ratepayers $1.4 billion and boosted emissions of carbon dioxide. Hydropower is the third priority behind drinking water for people and water for crops, By Ellen Knickmeyer, Associated Press [March 21, 2015]
- Who owns outer space?, By Yasmin Ali, Science reporter (25 September 2015) BBC.com (From the section Science & Environment)
- Is Space Mining Legal?: A controversial bill would give companies the right to own natural resources in space, and it may pass in the Senate by the end of September, By Sarah Fecht Posted September 23, 2015 (Popular Science Magazine) “Mining for lunar water could make it up to 90 percent cheaper to colonize the moon. And extracting platinum and other minerals from asteroids could propel mankind to travel beyond low Earth orbit. At least two companies—Planetary Resources and Deep Space Industries—are openly planning to mine asteroids. The former has already launched a simple test vehicle into low Earth orbit, with more planned.”
- Precession, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nutation, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TONIGHT’S GUEST: OPEN FORUM