The following is from GetCoveredAmerica.org. I read part of it as a PSA on my show on Wednesday night, and I offer this more complete version as a community service.
For complete information, visit http://www.getcoveredamerica.org/.
This Saturday, February 15, is an important day for listeners between the ages of 18 and 34, the so-called “Young Invincibles.” If you are 18 to 34 and uninsured, or know someone who is, go to Discovery Green in Downtown Houston Saturday between 1 – 4 p.m. for “Rock Enroll Houston.” Mayor Annise Parker will be there, and health organizations will be on hand to answer questions. Food trucks, the Houston Dynamo, rock music, sports and fitness vendors, and a chance to win an iPad will all be part of this event.
Health coverage is one of the best things young adults can do to protect their future. Nearly half – 43% – of all Houstonians between the ages of 18 and 34 lack health insurance. But unplanned medical bills are the leading cause of bankruptcy, and young adults who are uninsured miss out on regular check-ups and access to a doctor’s office. Before the enrollment period for the new health insurance marketplace ends on March 31, come find out about new options that are available to you and financial assistance that’s here.
- Houston is celebrating National Youth Enrollment Day for Houstonians age 18 – 34 with a citywide event Saturday –> “Rock Enroll Houston”, downtown at Discovery Green Park from 1 – 4 pm.
- 43% of Houstonians between 18 and 34 years of age lack health coverage.
- At 1 pm, Mayor Annise Parker will present a proclamation naming February 15, 2014 as Houston’s National Youth Enrollment Day, and thanking the many organizations participating.
- U.S. Representative Sheila Jackson-Lee will follow the Mayor with remarks on the importance of “Getting Covered.”
- Representatives from a variety of health organizations will be on hand to answer questions, make appointments, and start the enrollment process.
- Radio Station 104.1 KRBE will be broadcasting live from Rock Enroll.
- Players from the Houston Dynamo Major League Soccer team will greet the crowd and sign autographs.
- Participants will have the opportunity to take a Health quiz and be entered to win one of three iPads, given away in person at the event.