SHOW AUDIO: kpft_2014-02-26_2200, WHY DOES SCHOOL START SO EARLY Link is usually posted within about 72 hours of show broadcast.
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig (@ThinkwingRadio), a listener call-in show (every Wednesday night from 10-11PM CT) on KPFT-FM 90.1 (Houston). My engineer and discussion partner is Egberto Willies (@EgbertoWillies).
For the purposes of this show, I operate on two mottoes:
- You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts;
- An educated electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy.
Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig is usually a call-in show. Whether you’re listening live on the radio or on the internet from anywhere in the world, you can call in at 713-526-5738. (Long distance charges may apply.)
GUESTS: (Fuller bios can be seen at SOURCES, below the break)
- Terra Ziporyn Snider (PhD), Executive Director, Co-Founder of StartSchoolLater
- Dr. Joshua Rotenberg, MD, is a pediatric neurologist, sleep specialist and epileptologist in Houston, TX.
TOPIC: Why Does School Start So Damn Early, and Should it?
NOTE: This post is subject to update before and after the show.
Some of the links used for this show are BELOW the break:
SOURCES (Below the break):
- Terra Ziporyn Snider, PhD, Executive Director, Co-Founder (with other staff), Extended bio at bottom: http://www.startschoollater.net/executive-staff.html
- Joshua Rotenberg, MD (Professional Profile), Extended bio at bottom: http://www.txmss.com/physicians/joshua-rotenberg-md/
- Texas Medical & Sleep Specialists: txmss.com
- Promote legislation to prevent public schools from starting before 8 a.m.(Petition): http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/promote-legislation-to?source=s.fwd&r_by=9650148
- The Impact of Early School Start Times On Teens (Slide Show): http://www.slideshare.net/DebbieOMoore/sleep-presentation-27891997?utm_source=slideshow03&utm_medium=ssemail&utm_campaign=share_slideshow#btnNext
- StartSchoolLater.net: http://www.startschoollater.net/
- Welcome to Start School Later Arlington, TX!: http://www.startschoollater.net/tx—arlington.html
- Texas Research: Start School Day at 10AM (NewsRadio 1200AM – WOAI San Antonio): http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-local-news-sponsored-by-five-star-cleaners-119078/texas-research-start-school-day-at-12097889/
- Academy Diagnostics Sleep Center: http://academydxsleep.com/home/
- EXTENDED BIO: Terra Ziporyn Snider, Ph.D. is the creator of a
national petition for a minimum school start time, as well as the Executive
Director and Co-Founder of Start School Later, a national non-profit coalition of health professionals, sleep scientists, educators, parents, and other concerned citizens who want to ensure school start times compatible with health, safety, and learning for all. She is the an award-winning author of numerous popular health and medical books, including “THE NEW HARVARD GUIDE TO WOMEN’S HEALTH”, “THE WOMEN’S CONCISE GUIDE TO EMOTIONAL WELL-BEING”, “ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE FOR DUMMIES”, and “NAMELESS DISEASES”. After graduating from Yale, she was a Searle Fellow at the University of Chicago, where she earned a doctorate in the history of science and medicine while conducting research in biopsychology. A former associate editor at The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Terra has also written extensively on a wide range of health and medical issues in both professional and popular publications, including The Harvard Health Letter, JAMA, Consumer Reports, Weight Watchers Magazine, Business Week, and Longevity and has been awarded science-writing fellowships by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Chemical Society, and the Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole.
- EXTENDED BIO: Dr. Joshua Rotenberg is a pediatric neurologist, sleep specialist and epileptologist in Houston, TX. He is a founding member of Texas Medical & Sleep Specialists and the Medical Director of Academy Diagnostics Sleep & EEG Center. In his sleep practice, Dr Rotenberg sees children and adults with: a) primary sleep disorders and b) Neurologic illnesses (e.g. cerebral palsy) that are complicated by sleep disorders. Within neurology Dr. Rotenberg has a functional and restorative emphasis on neurologic problems such as epilepsy, headache , autism and cerebral palsy. Academy Diagnostics is one of 2 pediatric sleep centers in Houston with the gold-standard accreditation by the American Academy of Sleep medicine
KPFT is the Pacifica station in Houston, Texas