SHOW AUDIO: KPFT_2014-03-05_2200-Charles-Kuffner-and Primary-Election-Results (A backup copy of this program was discovered at the station on 3/12/2014.)
Unfortunately, due to technical circumstances beyond our control, the audio for this show was not archived.
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig (@ThinkwingRadio), a listener call-in show (every Wednesday night from 10-11PM CT) on KPFT-FM 90.1 (Houston). My engineer and discussion partner is Egberto Willies (@EgbertoWillies).
For the purposes of this show, I operate on two mottoes:
- You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts;
- An educated electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy.
Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig is usually a call-in show. Whether you’re listening live on the radio or on the internet from anywhere in the world, you can call in at 713-526-5738. (Long distance charges may apply.)
GUESTS: Charles Kuffner, Houston-based blogger for local and Texas state politics. His blog is www.OffTheKuff.com.
TOPIC: Primary elections for the Democrats and Republicans were held yesterday, March 4th. We’re going to talk about results, what they mean, and some of the stories behind them.
NOTE: This post is subject to update before and after the show.
Some of the links used for this show are BELOW the break:
SOURCES (Below the break):
- Off The Kuff: About Charles Kuffner: Off the Kuff
- Harris County Election Results: http://harrisvotes.com/ElectionDayResults.aspx
- Texas Election Results – Texas Elections, Office of the Secretary of State (Statewide office only)
- Texas Party Caucuses: Texas primary elections are mostly a ‘beauty contest’, and are not how candidates are actually chosen. Caucuses are when and where actual delegates are chosen to represent candidates, and these delegates then commit the voting precinct to one or another candidate.
- Texas Democrats will caucus at their respective Senatorial District Conventions. Texas Democrats can register and learn more here: http://register.txdemocrats.org
- Texas Republicans caucused in their voting precincts on election night.
- From Carl Whitmarsh: “Please note that per the new rules of the Texas Democratic Party, the precinct convention/caucus is no longer held on Primary Election night, but is now part of the Senate District Conventions … Download the 2014-2015 Rules of the Texas Democratic Party.”