SHOW AUDIO: kpft_2014-11-12_2200, OPEN FORUM
Link is usually posted within about 72 hours of show broadcast.
Please note We will be pre-empted on Weds., 11/19, but will return on 11/26.
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig (@ThinkwingRadio), a listener call-in show (every Wednesday night from 10-11PM CT) on KPFT-FM 90.1 (Houston). My engineer and discussion partner is Egberto Willies (@EgbertoWillies). Listen live on the radio or on the internet from anywhere in the world! When the show is live, we take calls at 713-526-5738. (Long distance charges may apply.) For the purposes of this show, I operate on two mottoes:
- You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts;
- An educated electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy.
TONIGHT’S TOPICs May Include:
- Rosetta Mission Probe May Have Rebounded Off Comet, By Stav Ziv 11/12/14 at 5:25 PM (NEWSweek.com)
- Obamacare enrollment for 2015 starts Saturday.
- Remember Ebola? We’ve gone from “All Ebola, all the time” in the news to, “Ebola? That still out there?”
- We need what CNN used to be, and we need CNN HLN to be what IT used to be.
- Stories disappear because there’s only so much you can put in a half hour or hour of news.
- Why can banks write off fines on the income tax? Can you?
- The wrong ‘Loretta Lynch’
- Net Neutrality costs jobs??
- Net Neutrality: What took Obama so long? Does his party have to get smashed in elections before he acts decisively?
- Impeachment: If the GOP wants to impeach Obama, let’s talk about the DoJ sending Bush/Cheney to the Hague. I’m sure they would be welcomed with open arms.
- Voter Fraud vs. Election Fraud: What’s the difference?
- Don’t stop property taxes or Homeowners Insurance costs: This is not always made clear
- Leaves heirs with debt issues: Taxes and reverse mortgage debt (FROM WEB SITE: Taking out a reverse mortgage can jeopardize your ability to leave your home to your heirs. If this is a priority for you, think twice about a reverse mortgage.)
- FROM WEB SITE: Are you on a fixed income with no other assets? If you don’t have much income, a reverse mortgage might not be the best option for you. If you take out a reverse mortgage loan and then have trouble paying your property taxes and homeowner’s insurance, you could face foreclosure.Reverse Mortgages: Good or bad
- “Underbanking”: What is it and why does it matter?
- Organ Transplants: Why the dearth of donors?
- Stop using the word “Harvest”
- Some participants indicated that they wouldn’t donate the organs of their next of kin if his or her heart were still beating, even if they were proclaimed brain-dead.
- due to a belief in the afterlife and the concern for maintaining body integrity.
- Others can’t shake the “ick” factor. Defined by researchers as “a basic disgust response to the idea of organ procurement or transplantation,” a 2011 study in Scotland found that non-donors reported higher levels of the ick factor and concern with body integrity than donors.
- Distrust of doctors; maybe too anxious to ‘harvest’. (The only word not explored in the article.)
- WAYS OF PROMOTING ORGAN TRANSPLANT DONATION
- “Opt out” instead of “Opt In”.
- Top-of-List for donors and their families.
- In-Network donations (like a private “Donor’s Club”)
NOTE: This post is subject to update before and after the show. ______________________________________________________________________
Some of the links used for this show are BELOW the break: SOURCES (Below the break) Not all topics discussed on tonight’s show: Continue reading