SHOW AUDIO: kpft_2014-06-04_2200, D-day, TIANANMEN, BOWE BERGDAHL, UNIVERSAL NATIONAL SERVICE
Link is usually posted within about 72 hours of show broadcast.
Welcome to Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig (@ThinkwingRadio), a listener call-in show (every Wednesday night from 10-11PM CT) on KPFT-FM 90.1 (Houston). My engineer and discussion partner is Egberto Willies (@EgbertoWillies).
Thinkwing Radio with Mike Honig is usually a call-in show. Whether you’re listening live on the radio or on the internet from anywhere in the world, when the show is live, we take calls at 713-526-5738. (Long distance charges may apply.)
For the purposes of this show, I operate on two mottoes:
- You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts;
- An educated electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy.
GUEST(S): You, the Callers!
TOPIC(s): OPEN FORUM. BRING YOUR IDEAS, COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS AND CALL THE SHOW!
Some of the topics I plan to discuss are linked below.
NOTE: This post is subject to update before and after the show.
Some of the links used for this show are BELOW the break:
SOURCES (Below the break) Not all topics discussed on tonight’s show:
Putin’s D-Day Landing Shows Memory Collides With Politics, By James G. Neuger June 04, 2014 [BusinessWeek]
Obama’s hard choices: In war, you never know what you will do until the key moment. ( Kathleen Parker, The Washington Post)
- Critics Are Questioning American Military Credo of Leaving No One Behind, ByERICSCHMITT,MARKMAZZETTI and PETER BAKER
- Military and civilian officials rallied to defend the years of effort spent to rescue Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
- Open up about Tiananmen: Chinese deserve a full accounting of the 1989 events. ( Tom Malinowski, The Washington Post)
- Tiananmen, Forgotten, By HELEN GAO. My generation of young Chinese can’t afford to look back or consider the larger issues that bedevil our society.
- With Choice at Tiananmen, Student Took Road to Riches, By DAVID BARBOZA and MICHAEL FORSYTHE. Xiao Jianhua, the leader of the official student union at Peking University in 1989, sided with the government and found wealth and favor.
- China is stealing a strategic march on the US: Bit by bit Beijing is creating new facts, and with each incident, it throws down the gauntlet, By David Pilling, May 28, 2014 5:47 pm (Financial Times)
- 100YSS™ 2014 Public Symposium (9/18/2014)
- Diet rich in resveratrol offers no health boost
- Always Hungry? Here’s Why [NY Times], By DAVID S. LUDWIG and MARK I FRIEDMAN, MAY 16, 2014
To support KPFT and Thinkwing Radio, you can contribute online by clicking here. And please make sure to note which program you’re supporting.
KPFT can’t do it without YOU!
You can help to Support KPFT. KPFT is 91% community-supported. It is an educational non-profit. All gifts are tax-deductible. In the course of a week, KPFT FM & HD brings you around 100 totally unique programs almost entirely through the efforts of unpaid volunteers. KPFT brings you an unequaled variety of programming, whether it’s awarding-winning music broadcasts, thought-provoking politics, discussion of local issues, or local reportage you won’t get anywhere else.
Oh, and KPFT also brings you Thinkwing Radio. What a deal!